Sunday 15 June 2014

Kilt Walk



Kilt Walk 


So it feels like forever ago already, but on my mum's birthday, 1st June myself and two best friends got dressed up in some tartan and complete a marathon..No thank god not running but walking! Yes we walked through some beautiful areas of Aberdeenshire. I had completed the Moonwalk back in 2010 and said that i would love to it again as both me and my friend were injured when we did it, but carried on as we had raised money and didnt want to let people down. Years later after travelling and not signing up on time we discovered this year that the kilt walk was happening so we decided to do this instead. Unlike the Moonwalk which starts at midnight in Edinburgh and is all about raising money for breast cancer, the kiltwalk starts at 9 in the morning and is open to all charities. I will post links for both for those that are interested. 

So all dressed up and me with my vegan snacks for the day (my friend Sandra had to have gluten free stuff with her, while Sarah could eat all the treats available at each stop!) There were plenty of stops every 3 or 4 miles which included toilets, water and lots to eat, bananas were always a choice for me but chocolate, donuts, tomato soup, and baked goods were all had to be avoided by me. I knew this would be a problem so I came prepared. Check out my instagram picture to show what I took, it included Pulsin bars found here clif shot blocks here All lovely and with bananas all I needed. The sun was shining all day which was great and made such a difference to moral than doing a walk in the dark!! It also meant that rest stops were easier, even if it was 10 mins while one of us went to the toilet


The walk was really enjoyable but tough, the company and sunshine certainly helped. I thought with my knee issues that i would have problems walking all that distance, but in fact i was totally fine, maybe the addition of yoga and sports massages have helped? It wasnt until the next day when my hips and ankles were bothering me despite an eptom salt bath before bed. I made sure i did plenty of yoga stretchy and by Wednesday i was fine enough to even manage a 10km and did it better than the Baker Hughes run! Maybe the long walk helped my running! 

Overall it was a great day to take part in and it was just fantastic to see so many people of all ages taking part to for so many charities. Would sign up again for next year.

Love 
Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment